"The Best bodywork you've never heard of!"
What is Rolfing®?
According to the Rolf Institute® website, "Rolfing-Structural Integration® was developed by Dr. Ida Rolf in the 1940's.
According to Dr. Rolf the body functions best when the skeletal structure is in proper alignment. Lasting improvement in alignment and an overall sense of well-being require a closer look at the effects of gravity on our bodies. She believed that the imbalances in alignment affect the soft tissues: muscles, fascia, tendons and ligaments, which create compensations throughout the body structure.
Dr. Rolf asks: "What conditions must be fulfilled in order for the human body-structure to be organized and integrated in gravity so that the whole person can function in the most optimal and economical way?"
Her life's work was devoted to this question which led to the system of soft tissue manipulation and movement education that we now call Rolfing®. In order to pass along her work to others and to make the education process accessible, she developed an expedient series of ten sessions, which came to be known as the Ten Series.
Dr. Rolf continues to be recognized as a pioneer and leader in soft tissue manipulation and movement education."
What is Rolfing® according to our very own Drew Rossback?
"Rolfing®, or structural integration, is a form of bodywork that aims to release deeply ingrained patterns of tension and strain in the body. It reorganizes and re-balances the entire body by releasing the restrictions held in the connective tissues from poor posture or bad habits. This new posture will bring you lasting relief and also show you ways to maintain this new sense of flexibility and freedom."
For more insight and information from his perspective… please visit his website at: rossbackrolfing.com
Rolfing Ten Series®
Dr. Ida Rolf created the Ten Series® as a formula for Rolfing®. It is a systematic approach to aligning the body. Each session builds upon the last and prepares the body for the next. Think of it as a "tune up" for your body, just as you tune up your motor vehicle for optimal performance!
The Rolfing Series® typically begins with ten 90 minute sessions designed as a comprehensive approach to integrating and restructuring the entire body. Although, this series isn't necessary to receive the work, it is recommended to receive the most benefit.
Sessions 1-3 are focused on releasing the superficial layers of connective tissue.
◦ Session one is excellent for addressing shoulder, rib and neck pain. Neck and back work are generally included at the end of almost every session to balance and integrate the work into the body.
◦ In session two the feet and lower legs are opened and aligned to help support the body in gravity for better contact with the ground.
◦ Session three involves the side of the torso, neck and hips. The goal is to allow these major segments to be more structurally sound and also to improve the relationship between the upper and lower body.
Sessions 4-7 remove strain from the deeper layers in the body and also focus on the core of our being.
◦ In Session four the focus is on the inside of the leg and address any imbalances in the knees and hips. Here we will attend to the relationship of the foot to the pelvis.
◦ Session five's goals are to open connective tissue in torso and core. This offers support for lumbo-dorsal hinge, balances the thorax, and finds functional length in the psoas.
◦ Session six focuses of the heel of the feet, hamstrings and sacrum. Here we will lengthen the deep muscles of the back and hips, matching the releases gained from session five. This work can be beneficial for back pain (including soreness from scoliosis), sciatica, and tight hamstrings.
◦ Session seven attends to the upper shoulders, head, neck and sometimes the arms. Mouth and nose work are included at the end of the session. By this time in the series, flexibility, athletic performance, and body symmetry are frequently seen to have noticeable improvement.
Sessions 8-10 organize and align the body as a whole. This provides better balance, range of motion and higher energy levels.
◦ Sessions eight and nine revisit the upper and lower segments of the body to work and integrate the segments with the pelvis. This increases mobility and fluidity between the segments and the pelvis.
◦ Session Ten works with the body as a whole, from the toes to the head. The main goal in this final session is to stabilize and integrate the body at the current level of order achieved through each session.
Benefits of Rolfing®
Better mental focus
Decreased pain and discomfort
Improved body awareness
Increased range of motion
Greater balance and coordination
Improved athletic performance
Gain a calm centered mind
and much more!
Conditions Rolfing® Has Helped
Back, knee and hip pain
Headaches and migraines
Sprains and strains
Repetitive stress injuries
and many more!
©2018. Rolf Institute of Structural Integration. History of Ida Rolf & Rolfing® Structural Integration. https://www.rolf.org/history.php